Just Give Me Money

you know that you want to
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Well sounds like some of us from the 2006 graduating class are beginning to do things. That's Great! It also appears that everybody has come to the consensus that moving is one of the worst things to do in life.

Since everyone is in an updating mood here goes:

This is my last week before meetings begin and classes start on the 27th.

Rachel will be taking 2 German language classes this fall and is hoping to get a part time writing job at the local newspaper.

I have to restructure the 2 existing photo classes and create 3-4 new ones (which I have good ideas about already) to complete the program, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here are my ideas...

"Intro to Photo" (this is a general education elective as well as a requirement for majors, which we already have a few of!)

"Photo 2" (Primarily technical stuff, digital... photoshop)

"Photo History" (From the beginning until now in 15 weeks!)

"Lighting" (Still-life and portraiture, some indoor location work as well)

"The Contemporary Landscape" (I'm teaching this in a 3 week intensive semester in May and it is about landscape photography, outdoor lighting and so forth...)

and finally...

"Film in a Digital Age" (Focuses on the use of film, the students will learn to shoot and develop 4x5 film, 4x5 camera functions, scanning film, contact prints (we don't have, nor will we get any enlargers, at this point) and stuff like that...)

What do you guys think?

...and lastly does anyone know where I can buy "good" but "relatively cheap" 4x5 cameras? That is the one equipment snag that seems to want to cost a lot, and we don't have a lot, we have a little, but maybe that class will run next year or the following...
posted by Anonymous @ 8:51 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Greg said…

    How inexpensive? You alreday know the Shen-Hao cameras are good and relatively cheap if you want new ones. You may have to buy a few Graflex off ebay if your budget is really tight. The Calumet monorail is dated but very usable. They make a new version for cheap.

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Ninja Dave said…

    Hey Jeremias,
    I'm a second year grad kid here at SCAD ATL also a PhotoAwesome.com super dork. Here in ATL there are tons of used shops and as you know people seem to be selling their old 4x5s for digital gear like crazy. If you're interested I can track down and give you the numbers to a few places around the city that might have great deals on used cameras. I figured it might help. Glad to see all you 06 kids are finding work out there in "the real world".
    You can contact me through my website davidallenjones.net

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Al Fuller said…

    I really like the ideal of the film in a digital age class! that sounds like something I would have liked to take myself. The other stuff sounds like it covers a pretty broad range. I love my tachihara, though I did buy my calumet monorail at a garage sale for $100 with a schneider lens.

     
  • At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks Ninja Dave! I'll keep you posted... Greg, I am definitely eyeing up the Shen Hao. Those might be the way to go and maybe calumet lenses... Al, I am not that lucky... I've never found such good deals...

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger J said…

    Also consider the ToyoViews with the Mac On Campus discount. Might be pretty comparable to the Shen-Haos. One serious advantage to the Toyos is that they have much less expensive and widely available parts and accessories (a major plus if students are checking them out and abusing them.)

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Greg said…

    The problem I have with Toyo cameras is that the only one under $1500 is just a re-named Graflex, so there are no rear movements at all. They have a monorail for under $700, but it sucks.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good point greg, but jay has a point too with the repairs... and for $1200 I can get a 4x5 and a lens... not bad... I guess the shen hao would be similar... and maybe I can get lenses used... I'm not ultra concerned with movements, some are good, but I don't want students trekking around with monorails in the wilderness... maybe I'll get a monorail or two for the studio to have movements... hmmm... we'll see what and when the budget will allow for my film in a digital class...

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger J said…

    I don't mind the Toyos. They have by far the least expensive field cameras, which I assume is better suited to your class. The cheapest one lacks some movements, but hey, if they like it they can buy their own eventually. The higher up models do have some rear movements.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger J said…

    Also, when I visit I should bring our Betterlight scan back to show your class. I never thought I would see one in person again, but shockingly this school has one... 137 megapixels and never a bad exposure. Too bad they are such a pain to use.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

© 2006 Just Give Me Money | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health

 
 

Web This Blog
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates

make money online blogger templates