Just Give Me Money

you know that you want to
Thursday, April 26, 2007
The long drive to Chicago was well worth the trouble. Apparently I came one weekend too early and missed a pile of excellent photo shows opening for the big Chicago art fairs... oh well.


First stop, R.A.S.P.H. at Edelman Gallery. Sorry, I didn't take installation images, Catherine Edelman would not have appreciated that. So... go see the show when it makes it's way around to you. The work was beautiful. It's mounted to Aluminum. The print itself has weight and thickness due to the work done to the print, but yet the finish is perfectly even and deceptive.

This set of work runs along the same theme as their previous series, but is actually more somber. My theory is that the work was purposefully not as playful with the imagery in order to maintain seriousness when color was introduced... but that was just my thought. It is a small show, but provides so much to contemplate and simply stare at.


After that I hit MCA's Exposed show. It was a gathering of what they see to be some of the most influential work over the last 40 years. It was a terrific show, arranged by catagories of 1) Constructed 2) Portrait 3) Appropriation.

Yes, the museum did understand that those are just parts of the medium during that time, but they couldn't do everything and have such a great, cohesive show. The highlights for me... an Alfredo Jaar installation and the Ed Ruscha books (which I have always under-appreciated.)


I was blown away by the perfect quality of Nathan Baker's prints when they showed up here in Minneapolis, but seeing more at Schneider Gallery was a huge treat. Seriously, these prints are amazing to look at, technically unsurpassed and conceptually interesting. I really thought that this piece had broke off the wall, there is even a hole where it breaks the drywall, but apparently it is a very clever hoax... LOVE IT!

Sinatra has been in my head since. Ah, Chicago, that's my kind of town.



posted by J @ 3:31 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks great Jay! The MCA has always been one of my favorite museums, perhaps it is because it is not super big and they always pull off shows really well. Unfortunately it is in Chicago and I have no clue when I'll ever get back there! I'm jealous you saw the ParkeHarrison's work... the NY gallery was closed last weekend... but I did just see some older work at a local museum, rockin' as always!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

© 2006 Just Give Me Money | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health

 
 

Web This Blog
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Affiliates

make money online blogger templates